Relationships are a big part of our life. Some are easy and some not so easy. Some grow with age, life changes and events and some don’t. Some are easy to let go of and some not so easy. This is why some relationships can bring us stress if they don’t progress the way we thought and would like them to.
So how can make your relationships stronger and more bullet proof so that you feel like we are making our best effort to keep them flourishing?
1. Accept that everyone is different. If the people in your life weren’t different than you probably wouldn’t be attracted to them, you wouldn’t be challenged by them and would be limited in your view of the world. In addition to this the way you treat others isn’t necessarily the way others treat you. Remember you can’t change other people’s behavior but you can change YOURS.
2. Communicate. Communication is key. It builds a beautiful foundation for both your friendships and romantic relationships.
3. Listen and give others your time. One of the nicest things you can do for someone is give them you time and ears. That’s what other’s will remember you by. You ability to simply listen to them.
4. Be open and honest. Your expression of this doesn’t have to be confrontational and you can still discuss things without ending up in a heated argument.
5. Set boundaries. Know what you will and what you won’t tolerate. One of the reasons why we stress and feel frustrated in relationships is because we don’t know how to set these relationship boundaries.
6. Know when to call it quits. It’s never nice to call quits on a relationship regardless of its nature. The old school pro’s and con’s list is a great way to work this out. Be honest with yourself. Do the relationship’s negatives outweigh the positives? Are you prolonging the inevitable?
Now look at all the different relationships in your life. Acknowledge the amazing relationships that are currently working well and put some effort into the relationships that may need some nurturing.